Kaalan/Morozicha Curry is a favourite curry in Kerala cuisine.... One of the main curry serve during onam and vishu and even marriages. There are many variations of this curry. The way it is prepared also varies from North to South Kerala.......
This is how i cook my Kaalan or Morozicha Curry.. Enjoy!!!!
- Raw Plantain - 1/4 kg
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Green chilly - 6
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Salt - to taste
- Grated Coconut - 3/4 cup
- Curd/Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Cumin - 1/4 Tsp
- Fenugreek - 1/4 Tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Dry red chilly - 3
- Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cut the raw plantain into 2" cubes. Pressure cook with turmeric powder,green chilly,ginger and salt with one cup of water. Cook for only 1 whistle or until cooked( Do not over cook it)
- Grind coconut, curd/yogurt and cumin into a smooth paste.
- Now open the cooker , add the coconut mix to it. mix well..Put it back on low flame. Let it boil slowly.When bubbles appear of the flame.
- In another pan, heat oil splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilly curry leaves and fenugreek. Of the fame and pour it on to the curry.
- Serve hot with boiled rice........
- You can also make the same curry with yam, cucumber.
- Curd/yogurt should be a little sour.
- After adding yogurt do not boil for more time, as curd might curdle.So put on low flame.