I always try to make something of my own when it come to vegeteraian recipes. This "Tangy Brinjal" is one among them... I was fed up of having "Ingy curry" always during onam sadhya's . This was in my mind long back. Everyone liked it also..... I quite liked it better tha n the usual ingy curry.....
- Brinjal(Aubergine/Egg plant) – ¼ Kg
- Water - 2 Cups
- Onion – 2 Medium
- Tomato – 2 Small
- Tamarind – a size of a small lime (if using paste – 2 Tsp)
- Turmeric powder – ½ Tsp
- Red Chili powder – 3 Tsp
- Fenugreek – 1 Tsp
- Gingelly Oil (Sesame/Nallenna) – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – as per Taste
- Gingelly Oil (Sesame/Nallenna) – 2 Tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Curry Leaves – 2 Sprigs
- Asafoetida - ¼ Tsp
- Fenugreek - 6-7 seeds
- Cut brinjal into cubes. Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a pan, add brinjal and fry it. Keep aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan or a chatty ,add brinjal to it and cook it. Add a pinch of turmeric powder also.
- In the same fry pan(in which brinjal was fried) add onion, saute for 5 mins.Add tomato to it and saute for 5 more mins.
- Now add turmeric , chilly powder and tamarind to it. Mix well until the raw smell is gone.
- If there is no oil, add a Tsp of oil, heat it and add fenugreek to it. Mix of all of them well.
- Keep it to cool. Grind it to a paste.
- Add this paste to the cook brinjal, also add 1/2 cup water to it.Add salt and bring the curry to boil.Reduce the water.
- Add little curry leaves.
- For tempering heat oil, add mustard seeds, dry red chilly, curry leaves and fenugreek to it.
- Off the flame , and add asafoetida to it.
- Pour it on to the brinjal curry.
- Tangy Brinjal curry ready.
- Serve it with hot rice , chappatti or as a dip.