Tomato or Thakkali Rasam is one of the soothing and comforting dish that anybody can have during this rainy and chilling weather with some hot rice. This is one of the simple rasam recipe that one can make.There are different varieties of rasam, like pepper rasam, parippu rasam, puli rasam , etc. It is usually made with tomato and tamarind. The sour and a bit spicy taste of spices should be prominent in this dish.I don't like making rasam with instant rasam powder, though it taste's good, but not as we prepare with crushing and tempering.. It has a very unique tastes of its own.
This time tomatoes came to my house in different shapes and sizes, all we looking so cute, so i thought of clicking a photo of those cute little ones...
I love having tomato rasam with hot rice and daal curry with pappad. In this recipe i don't even mash the potatoes, as they well cooked and while adding the spices, i simply crush them with my mortar...Oh.. i cant explain the aroma that comes, when i crush them... the smell of the coriander seeds...wow!!!
- Tomato - 3 Large
- Shallots big - 5
- Cumin Seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Garlic - 5
- Peppercorns - 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Tamarind / tamarind paste - 1 1/4 Tsp
- Water - 2 1/2 cups (appx.)
- Salt - as per taste
- Coriander Leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut Oil/ Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Shallots/ onion - 1/2 Tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
- Dry Red Chilly - 2
- Curry Leaves - 2 twigs
- Asafoetida (Kaayam)- 2-3 pinches
- Coarsely grind/ or just one twist in a mixer shallots, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic and peppercorns.
- In a bowl add the cut tomatoes, water and tamarind paste. Bring it to a nice boil(tomatoes should be a bit mushy).
- Once it starts boiling,add the coarsely ground ingredients and powders and salt.
- When it boils stir well for 2 minutes till the taste of all ingredients fuse together completely. Off the flame and add coriander leaves.
- In a separate small pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot enough, crackle mustard seeds, red chilly ,curry leaves and onion/shallots. Sauté for few seconds till it leaves the aroma. Off the flame and add asafoetida. Pour it to the prepared rasam. Serve hot.
- Enjoy hot Rasam with rice...