- Roasted Rice Powder - 2 cups (I used Double Horse)
- Boiling Water - 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- Salt - as needed
- Grated Coconut - 1 cup or as needed
- Oil - 1 Tsp
- Boil water with oil and enough salt.
- Take the roasted rice powder in a bowl and gradually add the boiling water little by little. Mix with a wooden spatula.
- Add water till you get a smooth and soft dough (be careful the dough will be hot). The dough should not be too tight and it should not be sticky also.
- Boil water in the steamer.
- Grease the idli steamer with little oil. (it will prevent the Idiyappam from sticking) and sprinkle little grated coconut on these moulds.
- Fill the idiyappam maker with smooth dough and rotate the handle.
- Fill the idli moulds with the noodles coming out of the idiappam maker.
- Once the steam comes from the steamer, place the filled idli moulds and steam the idiyappams for about 8 - 10 minutes. Cook on medium flame. Once done, take out the moulds and leave for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with any curry.. or it can be best served with sugar and thick coconut milk.
- If using home made rice powder, roast it well to the perfect.
- If using an ready-made , use the best quality one.
- Do no add too much water to the dough, as it will be difficult to get the dough out of the mould and strings will not be perfect.