- Soya Chunks - 200 grams
- Turmeric powder - 3/4 Tsp
- Red chilly powder - 3 Tbsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5 Sprigs
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - for frying
- Onion for garnishing - cut into rings
- Boil enough water to soak soya, add salt to taste.Add the soya chunks to the hot water and boil it for 2-3 minutes. (It will double in size).
- Switch off the flame and keep aside for 1/2 hour. Drain the water and wash under fresh running water, so that all the dirt goes. Now squeeze out the excess water completely, so that while frying it will not absorb oil.
- Cut them into halves.
- In a bowl ,combine turmeric, red chilly powder,salt and make a paste.(if needed add little water).
- Add the soya chunks to the prepared masala and mix well so that masala gets well coated. Keep it aside for at least half hour. The more the better.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in kadai, when hot add curry leaves and marinated soya chunks , fry for a couple of minutes in medium heat until the soya chunks are dry and roasted. Fry them till they become golden brown in colour . Keep stirring in between.
- Drain in a paper towel.Fry the remaining.
- While serving garnish with onion rings and curry leaves.
- Adding curry leaves will give a good aroma and taste while frying.
- Also you can play with the spices you like . Mix it and fry it....
- Serve it chappathi or stuff inside any rolls..or simply munch it...
And here is Soya Chunks Fry prepared by Tanya who was so inspired by my Version ....though she is a budding food blogger she is really going well with her recipes ....Thanks so much Tanya for trying it out and happy that you and your family loved it..