Pachadi is one of the special traditional side dishes that is served during festivals , especially )Onam ,Vishu and also during Hindu marriages.The use of vegetables and even fruits vary so much and also in their taste. The main ingredient being freshly grated coconut ground to smooth paste along with ginger, green chillies, and mustard seeds and yogurt and is mixed with variety of raw or cooked vegetables.
Today i made Beetroot Pachadi , which is a bit sweet in taste. This was on my list from quite sometime.The final verdict from my family was "Delicious", i loved the rich colour that Pachadi had was truly amazing to have with rice.
- Finely chopped or grated beetroot - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Grated coconut (grind o smooth paste) - 3/4 cup (I had previously made coconut paste was 1/2 cup)
- Green Chilly - 2
- Chopped ginger - 1/4 Tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Salt - as needed
- Coconut Oil/ Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
- Cook grated beetroots in 1 cup of water till it turns soft. It takes just around 4-5 minutes to cook the beetroot. Cook until all the water get absorbed. Cook on medium flame. (Be careful not to get burnt beetroot.)
- Meanwhile grind the grated coconut, green chilli, mustard seeds and ginger to a smooth paste.
- Add in yogurt and grind just once.
- Add this grind paste to the cooked beetroot, also add salt and cook for a couple of minutes.(i cooked for 1 minute on sim flame).Remove from flame.
- Heat oil for tempering, add curry leaves and mustard seeds. When mustard seeds starts to sizzle and pop add the dry red chilli halves into it.
- Pour this on to the pachadi and mix well.
Do check out my Special Pineapple Pachadi - Kerala Style
and Pineapple Pachadi - Kerala Sadya Style