Friday, December 20, 2013

Blog Anniversary and Love at First Bite....Floating Island

Wow .. i simply can't believe "A Bowl Of Curry" has turned One year oldHappy Birthday….


It has been exactly one year and 2 days since I wrote my first blog post and shared the very first recipe to this blogging world. Since then my life has changed so much. ‘A Bowl of curry’, my sweet little blog has introduced me to a totally new world of cooking and photography.  I used to simply browse internet, just to take down some recipes and that’s it…but later when this became a habit, my kids told why not you also cook something of your special recipes and it. I was like OK. Then they came about with the idea of starting a blog. So on my birthday my daughter started this blog for me….There goes my journey with 'A Bowl of Curry'.
The first blog that I was impressed with was Maria’s Menu and Shab’s Cuisine. Then after I stared to blog, I began to find other blogs that I was impressed with and started to leave comments. Still, visitors to my blog were very few and far between… and I was lucky to get just one comment.

I remember the very first post and the first photo that I posted

I remember the day, when I received the first comment on Bread Cutlet, I was so happy that day and I got so tensed when a reader pointed out the mistake in Green Chicken Curry. After that I used to wait for the comments and feedbacks. But later when I joined the Blogging Marathon, it all started, my blog was really liked and recognized by my fellow readers, started appreciating my recipes and photos, also encouraging me by their kind words. I started to make new friends. The first comment, the first like to my facebook page, the first follower on GFC and the number of page views etc.. these little things made me so happy and made my day. My son would keep track of the likes and like on photos and comments and they felt happy too...This was all possible through the support I received from my readers.

Now ‘A Bowl of Curry‘ has become an inseparable part of my life. In this one year of blogging, I have been inspired by so many of you.  I had no idea how many wonderful friends I would meet and how much I would learn. I take this opportunity to thank each of my readers for their continuous support and encouragement. This is just the beginning and I have still got so much to cook, click, write and post…

I hope that ‘A Bowl Of Curry’ will receive the same support in years to come….

On that happy note i would love to share the recipe of the Famous Classic French Dessert "Floating Island".



"Floating Island" or "Ille Flottante" is a classic light French dessert, that is made mostly of egg white. This dessert is served simply with custard and the poached meringue just float dreamily like clouds in it. You can top it with caramel or dust it with praline.. but i can say it tastes divine... 

Recipe source :  The Hungry Australian


Ingredients
For the custard
  1. Milk 1 cup
  2. Fresh Cream - 1/2 cup
  3. Castor Sugar - 1/2 cup
  4. Vanilla essence - 1 sp
  5. Egg yolks - 3
For the meringue
  1. Egg whites - 3
  2. Castor Sugar - 1/2 cup
  3. Milk - 1 cup
For Caramel Sauce
  1. Sugar - 150 gms
  2. Water - 100 ml
Preparation
For the custard
  • Heat milk in a heavy bottomed pan with vanilla essence until gently simmering. Turn off. Keep aside.
  • Meanwhile, whip egg yolks and sugar for a couple of times, until thick and pale in colour.
  • Pour the milk mixture , fresh cream into the yolk mixture and mix together thoroughly.
  • Rinse out the sauce pan and then pour the entire custard mixture back into the pan.
  • Heat on low flame for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until you get a thick and cream custard.
  • Turn off and leave it to cool.Chill in refrigerator.
For the Meringue
  • Whisk egg whites until peaks form. Then add in the sugar, a little at a time, until meringue is glossy and stiff.
  • Heat milk in a large, deep frying pan and bring to a slow simmer.
  • Using a large spoon, drop two or three spoonfuls of the meringue mixture into the milk and poach for a minute on both the sides. (Be careful it might break).
Caramel Sauce
  • Combine sugar and water, cook till the sugar dissolves completely and caramel is been formed.

To serve
  • Pour 2 -3 spoon custard into low bowls. 
  • Gently lift an island out of the milk with a flat spoon, tap and remove the excess milk and place gently on top of the custard .
  • Garnish with caramel sauce or with nuts or praline.

21 comments:

  1. Congrats and Happy birthday to ur blog :)
    Floating island looks so delicious.. i have bookmarked it for christmas dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bhawya... truely it should be a defenite try i bet you..

      Delete
  2. congratulations on ur blog anniversary preetha .This dessert look so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a yummy dish and a very happy bday to ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated birthday wishes...........Floating Island is so yummy and good presentation. All your dishes are simple and good to taste . Looking forward for more delicious recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rekha... thats so wonderful and kind of you....for the sweet comments..is from you readers, i do get inspired to cook and share more delicious recipes..... Thank you so much

      Delete
  5. Belated Birthday wishes . Floating island is so yummy and good presentation All Your recipe are simple,easy to prepare and good to taste . Looking forward for more delicious recipe .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hearty Congrats and wishes to have a great future ahead!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blog Anniversary. Floating island looks Flattering Preetha... All the best and Keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! We too just celebrated our anniversary recently, so we know how it feels with all the comments, likes and support. Floating island looks really divine Preetha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...i was really great and happy and so touched by seeing all the comments..

      Delete
  9. A VERY VERY HAPPY BELATED BLOG ANNIVERSARY.....We love reading your blog...such delicious recipes and clear steps,thanks so much for sharing them....we await lots lots lots and lots of more delicious treats posted on this lovely food blog...floating islands look so good one can confuse them being served at a posh french bistro...seriously gorgeous treat...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much..i feel so honoured..and showered with such wonderful comments... i hope i will be able to treat my readers with delicious recipes..many more yyears...

      Delete
  10. A very happy bog anniversary and looking forward for many more to come :).... floating island is new to me and it sounds so cool :)....the pics r so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much..Anupa..you are truely inspiring

      Delete

Thank you so much for paying a visit to my little blog. If you happen to try out any of my recipes posted on blog, please do leave a comment, from which I can review and also help other visitors who visit A Bowl of Curry. Feel free o send in your suggestions about the blog or the recipes…which will make me improve.
Thanks
Preetha

Featured Post

Thakkali Rasam ~ Tomato Rasam~South Indian Tangy Tomatao Soup

Tomato or Thakkali Rasam is one of the soothing and comforting dish that anybody can have during this rainy and chilling weather with...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...