When ever i get raw mango from market i get 2 or 3 as i love making fish curry with mango more than using tamarind pulp. It tastes really great. This curry is one which i make when we don't get fish at home. Because of its tanginess.. it really raises the taste of the curry.. and we get satisfied as if , having a fish curry without fish in it.. Duplicate fish curry...
- Raw mango - 1/2 of a mango ( not very tangy)
- Tomato - 1 medium
- Green Chilli - 3
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1 1/2 Tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Crushed cumin powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - a pinch
- Dry red chilly - 1
- Curry leaves - 1 Sprig
- Grind the grated coconut to a very smooth paste by adding a pinch of turmeric powder to it.Keep aside.
- Peel the skin of the mango and cut it lengthwise pieces.
- In a manchatti/ sauce pan, add cut mango pieces, roughly chopped tomato, green chilly slit, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt and add 1/2 cup water . Mix well and let it boil.
- When it comes to boil, add the coconut paste to it. When it boils , add cumin powder and curry leaves.Check salt .Remove room heat.
- In a kadai, heat some oil, splutter mustard seeds, lower he flame and add fenugreek seeds ,dry red chilly and curry leaves. Off the flame and pour this on to the curry.
- Serve with hot rice.
- Check the tanginess of the mango first.
- When used in curry if it is more tangy, increase the level of red chilly powder to 2 Tsp.
- Do not over fry the fenugreek seeds, as later it might tastes bitter.