Karimeen aka Pear Spot is the fish that is commonly found in the Kerala Backwaters around Alapuzha, Kollam and Kottayam . Nowadays with the boom of tourism this fish has become the most popular fish in North Kerala. This is served in every other resorts, home stays and house boats. One among the delicacy that is served, is the Karimeen Pollichathu and Karimeen Moily.
In my hometown Kannur , we don't used to get it much, but when we get i used to fry it in coconut oil after marinating the fish overnight with spicy crushed masalas. Now when i came to Bangalore, i have been seeing the fish in the market but never used to buy, thinking it is some other fish. But a few days back, one customer in the market overheard me and my husband talking in malayalam , he suddenly said..."buy that, it is our Karimeen, just fry it spicy with pepper masala".... My husband within seconds ordered for 1 Kg, before allowing him to complete his words....From then this fish has been a "King" in our fried seafood dishes...In Kerala , the fish and dish is quite expensive.. here in Karnataka , it is much cheaper.So we say, now that we have started buying it, it is sure gonna become expensive..
Over to the recipe , today i am sharing a yet spicy Karimeen Fry. The cleaned and slit fish is marinated with spicy masala. Instead of normal chilly, i have used Kaanthari Mulakku(a spicier version, though looks small,tiny and cute, but very spicy and healthy, i have heard it lessens cholesterol )
- Karimeen / Pearl Spot (Clean and slit) - 2
- Pepper powder - 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Red Chilly powder - 1 Tsp
- Kaanthari mulakku (Bird's Eye Chilly) crushed- 6
- Ginger crushed - 1" piece
- Garlic crushed - 6
- Salt - as per taste
- Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
- Coconut Oil / Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Coconut Oil/Oil - for shallow frying
- Mix all the ingredients and do not add water, if needed little more oil.
- Marinate the clean and slit fish with the prepared masala . Keep in for about 1 hour minimum.(If done overnight... delicious!!!)
- Heat coconut oil / oil in a pan,layer 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves and place the marinated fish on it.
- Fry both sides on a medium flame until golden brown.
Sending this entry to Ahlan Ramadan –The Healthy Way