Upma is a simple breakfast , which is healthy and also very comforting food. In South India , we have different varieties. Mainly we make with Sooji rava, Aval(Beaten rice flakes),Semiya, etc....
- Gothamba Rava (Cracked Wheat) - 1 cup
- Water - 2 1/2 cup
- Carrot Grated -1
- Onion chopped - 1
- Green Chilly - 4
- Ginger Chopped- 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Mutton Masala - 1/4 Tsp(Optional)
- Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
- Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Urad Dal Split - 1/4 Tsp
- Salt - as required
- Heat a pan and dry roast rava for about 3-4 minutes , until a slight good aroma comes. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds and urad daal.
- Then add curry leaves, onion, carrot, green chilly and ginger. Saute till the raw smells goes and onions turn pink.
- Add turmeric powder. Saute.Add water and salt. Let it boil.
- Add mutton masala. Mix well. Now lower the flame and slowly add roasted rava to water Keep stirring so that lumps are not formed. Mix well.
- Check salt.Cover with a lid. Cook for maximum 10 minutes or until water is fully absorbed.
- Garnish with grated coconut.