Kakkarotti, again here i come with yet another well known dish from Malabar.In different areas of Malabar it is called in various names as Kunji Pathiri, Kunji rotti, Kunji pathal and goes on.I tasted this dish , when i had been to my daughter's friends home, as they had invited us for Ramadan. This dish and many others were very new to me..Since i have started this blog, i am recollecting many dishes from the past. This is one of the dish i loved to make at least once a month at home.
Serves -> 3 - 4 people
For the dumplings
- Pathiri Podi / Appam podi/Rice flour- 1 1/2 cups (I used pathiri podi)
- Boiling Water - 2 cups
- Shallots - 8 - 10
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1/4 Tsp
For the masala
- Boneless chicken cooked with a Tsp of turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt - 1 cup- chopped
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Onion - 3 nos small
- Green chilly - 3
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1 1/2 Tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 Tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 Tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 Sprigs
- Salt as needed
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
Making of rice dumplings
- In a mixer, add shallots, grated coconut, fennel seed and grind it.
- Take the pathiri podi in a bowl, add the grounded ingredients , salt , mix it and slowly add boiling water to it.
- Mix well with a spatula. Mix and make a thick and smooth dough.
- Grease your palm with little oil and make small marble sized balls. Slightly press the center of the balls with your finger to give a good shape.(I just love to do this and make my daughter also help me ... also she will be behind me when i am cooking anything special.. to take down the notes and the measurements...).
- Steam this for 20-25 minutes. Transfer it to a plate and cool it. Steam the remaining balls also.
Making of the masala
- In a mixer, grind grated coconut, onion, green chilli and fennel seeds. Grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the coarsely grind masala to it.Let the raw smell of the masala go and cook the masala.
- Add turmeric and red chilly powder to it. Adjust salt.
- Add the cooked and chopped chicken pieces to the masala. Mix well.Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the rice dumplings to the masala. Mix well and add garam masala to it.Also add the stock water if needed. Cook for 5 minutes until masala is well coated and the sauce becomes thick.
- Finally garnish with curry leaves.
- Ready and serve hot.