Biriyani is something everybody loves to have anytime...... @Thalassery ,its like, even for Onam ,we prepare Chicken Biriyani.. Biriyani is meant like that for us...... The taste of Biriyani differs from home to home.... and when it Thalassery.....you should defenitely try Chicken or any non-veg biriyani from Old Paris Hotel..... its YUMMMMM.....
So here is my way of Thalassery Biriyani.....We serve it with raitha, sweet dates pickle, cocnut chutney, cabbage thoran and pappad......
Serves 6-8 People
For the Marination
- Chicken - 1 ½ Kg
- Turmeric powder – ½ Tsp
- Ginger-garlic crushed – ½ Tsp each
- Green Chilly crushed – 2 Tsp
- Yogurt – ½ Cup
- Salt – 1 Tsp
- Kaima rice/ Geerakashala rice /Baasmathi rice – 4 cups
- Dalda(Vanaspathi) – 1 Tsp
- Ghee – 1 Tsp
- Fennel seeds(Perumjeerakam) – ½ Tsp
- Cloves – 6-8
- Cinnamon Sticks – 5-6
- Cardamom – 4 -5 pods
- Bay leaves – 3
- Salt - as per taste
- Fennel seeds(perumjeerakam) – ½ Tsp
- Onion (Thinly sliced) – 8 Large
- Garlic (crushed) – 3 Tbsp
- Ginger (crushed) – 3 Tbsp
- Green Chilly (crushed) – 10 – 15 (Depending upon pungency)add
- Tomatoes (Sliced) – 4
- Coriander Leaves – 1 cup
- Mint Leaves – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ Tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Garam Masla – 1 Tsp (Extra to sprinkle on rice while layering) ( Home Made)
- Curd – 1 Tbsp (Optional)
- Dalda(Vanaspathi) – 2 Tbsp
- Ghee – 2 Tbsp
- Briryani Masala
- Fried onions, cashew nuts and raisins
- Chopped coriander and mint leaves
Method to Prepare Biriyani
- Wash chicken and drain of all the water from it. Marinate the chicken with the ingredients and keep for atleast 2 Hrs.
I usually prepare ghee rice in cooker, which is easy and time consuming. Since i have a 6 Ltr cooker i prepared the rice twice(2 cups rice each time). If you have a bigger one good.....
Or If you have your own way, prepare it like that.
- Wash the rice and strain all the excess water from rice using a colander.
- In a cooker heat vanaspathi and ghee, when it melts splutter fennel seeds, add all the dry spices to it. Saute for a minute until the spices leave its aroma.
- Simmer the flame and add rice to it. Saute for 2 mins. Now slowly add water(@ room temp.) to the rice. The level of water should be 2 inches above the level of rice (It should be on the second line of your pointing finger, when you immerse it). Now add salt .
- Put the flame on high(without cooker weight(IMPORTANT). When steam starts to come , cook for 5 mins, then simmer the flame until fully cooked. Transfer to a large vessel and sprinkle 2-3 Tbsp of ghee and keep aside.
- In a large vessel heat dalda and ghee. Add fennel seeds, let it leave its aroma. Add onions and a pinch of salt to it. Saute onions until they are nicely fried light brown and translucent. Add ginger,garlic and green chillies crushed. Saute well, until it leaves it raw smell.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder.Saute it. Add in tomatoes , coriander and mint leaves. Mix well and cook till the tomatoes are soften. Now add the marinated chicken, salt and 1/2 cup water to it. Mix well , close the lid and cook until the chicken is soft. Stir well.
- Now open the lid and add curd , stir well and reduce the gravy to thick .When the gravy is reduced and masala is well coated, off the flame , add garam masala to it. Mix well. Off the flame.
- Divide the rice to two portions. Add one portion of rice on top of the prepared masala. Sprinkle ghee, and pinch of garam masala. Garnish with fried onions , raisins and cashew nuts.
- Now add the 2nd portion of rice on top repeat the process and also garnish with chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Now place a tava on the gas top, Place the biriyani vessel on top of it with a lightly closed lid. Put on lowest flame for 5-10 mins to DUM it.
- Serve it with raitha, sweet dates pickle, cocnut chutney, cabbage thoran and pappad......
- Always cook the Biriyani masala before cooking the rice, so that you can serve it hot.
- When preparing the masala check salt and if you need more chilly add is some crushed chilies to it.( Some times onions will give a sweet taste).
- Be careful while cooking rice , it shouldn't get over cooked. Adjust the flame to high for 5 mins when steam starts to come , then simmer it for next 10 mins until cooked.