Don't get surprised by the name 'Koyikkal', literally means chicken legs in malayalam. I know all might be thinking what's in a chicken leg??? Why am i saying 'Veggie Chicken Leg'......, this is how we surprise our guests..., but this is a dish with tapioca dipped in a batter of gram flour and spices.This is a special snack from 'Thalassery' and is available only in Thalassery town.
This is my first try out @ home, as i got some fresh tapioca from Kerala, and my kids were wanting to have some.....That's how i ended up with this post ....
Let's scroll down to view the recipe
- Tapioca - 1/2 kg
For the batter
- Gram flour/Besan - 1/2 cup
- Garlic crushed with skin - 8 - 10
- Red chill powder - 3 - 4 Tbsp (if you want, you can mix kashmiri red chill powder also to reduce the spice level)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Green chilly finely chopped - 4
- Jeera / cumin seeds - 1/2 Tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Curry Leaves finely chopped - 2 Sprigs
- Peel the skin of tapioca.
- Cut into half first. From one half , slit them into thin strips, approx 4 inch long and 1/2 inch broad as shown in pic. Cut the other half too.
- Mix all the items under 'For the batter', by adding water to a consistency of dosa batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying , on a medium flame.
- Add some of the tapioca strips to the batter. Take less than a handful of mixture and shape it like in the picture with our hand and fry it in oil.
and phew!!!!!!! plate kaali ayallo ....it got finished???..yummy snack....
- If the batter is watery, adjust with more gram flour or even fine rice powder.
- This amount of chilli powder is enough..., i would say perfect. It will be correct after frying.