Dosa is an integral part of South Indian Breakfast. In most of the houses in South India, Idli-Dosa ranks first in the chart, then comes the other items. This is a very simple and easy recipe
- Pachari(Raw Rice) - 1 cup
- Ponni Rice (Parboiled Rice) - 1 cup
- Urad Daal (Uzhunnu parippu) - 3/4 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Seeds/Uluva)-1/2 Tsp
- Salt - as required
- Oil/ghee - to grease
- Wash and soak pachari(raw rice) and ponni rice (parboiled rice) in water for 8-9 hours.
- In a separate bowl ,wash and soak urad daal , with fenugreek, in water for same hours.
- First grind urad daal and fenugreek in a wet grinder to a very fine paste.Add enough water while grinding. Transfer this to a big vessel.
- Grind the soaked rice with little water, till smooth and frothy.Pour this to the urad daal paste and mix well.Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and keep aside to ferment for 6 to 8 hours.
- Heat a non-stick tawa or dosa kallu/chatti, and sprinkle a little water on it.The water should steam immediately.
- Grease it with oil, and just wipe hard with half cut onion dipped in it.
- Pour a laddle of the batter on the tawa and spread the batter in a circular motion to make thin dosa. Cover and cook for a minute.
- Smear a little oil along the sides of the dosa, cook till the dosa turns brown and crispy.
- Repeat the same with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with sambhar and chutney.
Tips for making a perfect dosa batter
- Always soak and grind rice and urad dal separately.
- Grind urad daal first and then rice. Add water little by little and grind to a smooth and frothy batter.
- The batter should not be as thick as Idli batter. But should be light.
- The batter should be at room temperature, before preparing dosa.
Chutney and chammanthi Recipes for Dosa