Halwa, which is popularly known as"Aluva" in Kerala, is one of the sweet dessert that is liked by most of them. There are different types of halwa in Kerala, especially when we go to Kozhikode to my sisters place, their Aluva tastes entirely different....."Karutha Aluva" from kozhide is the best i ever had....
Here is a simple halwa recipe , which i made from left over bread.....
- Bread Crumbs – 250gms
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 4-5 Tbsp
- Butter – 3 Tbsp
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Powdered Sugar – 200 gms
- Cardamom powder – ¾ Tsp
- Cashew nuts chopped – ½ cup
- Vanilla Essence – ½ Tsp
- Grated almonds – Garnishing
- In a non-stick pan melt butter and ghee. Add bread crumbs to it. Mix well.
- Put the flame low. Add milk and sugar to it.
- Mix well until bread crumbs absorb all the moisture.
- When ghee starts to separate from the halwa, add cashew nuts, cardamom powder and vanilla essence to it. Mix it well.
- When the halwa starts forming into a single lump of ball and starts leaving from the side of the pan, it is ready.
- Grease a bowl or any mould with a little ghee on all the sides and transfer halwa into it .
- Pat the halwa into an even shape. Let it cool and rest for about ½ hour. De-mold it and cut it into any shape you like.
- Garnish with almonds.
- I used butter bread here, because it is a bit sweet. You can also use white/brown/normal bread, then you need to increase the amount of sugar.