In kerala ,especially for Sadya, either Onam or Weddings.. is incomplete without "Olan". In a TV program(Onam Special) it was said " since Olan is mild flavored in taste, it should be tasted first in a sadya , than tasting any other dish ,as Olan would clear the taste buds"
- Elavan(White gourd) - ½ Kg
- Long Beans (payar) – 100g
- Green chilly slit – 5-6(Depends on the green chilly)
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Coconut Milk – ¾ cup
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ Tsp
- Dry red chilly– 3
- Curry Leaves – 2-3 Sprigs
- Salt – as per taste
- Cut elavan into thin slices of about 3 cm by 3 cm.
- Pressure cook elavan , payar, ginger and green chilly with salt and ¼ cup of water.(Don’t add too much water as vegetables contains water in it). Whistle up to 3 times.
- If water is more , reduced it.
- Simmer the flame and add coconut milk and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Do not boil after adding coconut milk.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds. When it starts to crackle add dry red chilli and curry leaves.
- Pour it onto the Olan.
- Serve it with rice.