Chakka / Jackfruit is a native fruit of Kerala and it will be there is almost every house backyard. Its mainly used from the month of February onwards. In Kerala, we use both ripe and tender jackfruit. Tender jackfruit is used for making chakka erissery, chakka puzhukku, chakka upperi, chakka chips.. and mamy many varieties , the list just goes on.. now apart from traditional many are trying out different new recipes. With the ripe jackfruit we make..Chakka paayayam, Chakka Ada, Chakka Varatti,chakka unnipayyam,, jams and many more desserts.
Now Chakka Varatti/Jackfruit Jam, is made from ripe jackfruit bulbs(removing the seed inside), along with jaggery and ghee. This jam if stored in a tight container, will stay for more than a year.
This is a time consuming preparation , it almost take 4-5 hours, but will taste like heaven , it just melts in our mouth.
- Ripe Jack Fruit Flesh - 6 cups (finely chopped)
- Jaggery - 3/4 - 1 Kg
- Ghee - 1/2 - 1 cup
- Chukku/Dry ginger powder -1 Tbsp
- Cardamom powdered - 1/2 Tsp
Step by Step Preparation
- Deseed the flesh pieces of jackfruit and chop them into small pieces.
- Pressure cook the jackfruit pieces with 1 cup of water , for about 6-8 whistles or until soft.
- Cool down the cooked jackfruit and puree it in a mixer.
- Heat 'Uruli' or a heavy bottomed pan. Transfer the jackfruit pulp to the pan/uruli and let the water disappear . Stir Continously.
- In the meanwhile, heat a pan , melt jaggery with a cup of water, to a thick syrup.
- Pour the melted jaggery to the jackfruit pulp and stir continuously.
- Add ghee little by little , chukku, and cardamom powder.
- Stir continuously, on a low flame. If it is sticking to the bottom of the pan, add ghee little by little.
- Stir continuously without taking your hand , until oil separates from the sides, and it forms into one single lump.
- You can roll into small balls and store in an air tight container.
- It can be preserved for more than a year.
This was the stage..........
Linking this to Lets cook Preserves, Jams and Chutneys of Simply.food